Monday, October 6, 2008

Brother Can You Spare a Dime

I was born during the great depression in the US that lasted 19 years. Although I was only two when the depression officially ended, I am a child of the depression. It still colors how I think about business and government.

I remembered the song "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime" the other day while contemplating the possibility of a depression as a result of the financial crisis we find ourselves in now.

The lyrics are listed below and you can listed to the song below.

The basic theme of the song is betrayal. And, while the examples of betrayal mentioned in the lyrics are somewhat dated, many could now also feel betrayed.


"Brother, Can You Spare a Dime," lyrics by Yip Harburg, music by Jay Gorney (1931)

They used to tell me I was building a dream, and so I followed the mob,
When there was earth to plow, or guns to bear, I was always there right on the job.
They used to tell me I was building a dream, with peace and glory ahead,
Why should I be standing in line, just waiting for bread?

Once I built a railroad, I made it run, made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad; now it's done. Brother, can you spare a dime?
Once I built a tower, up to the sun, brick, and rivet, and lime;
Once I built a tower, now it's done. Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell,
Full of that Yankee Doodly Dum,
Half a million boots went slogging through Hell,
And I was the kid with the drum!

Say, don't you remember, they called me Al; it was Al all the time.
Why don't you remember, I'm your pal? Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell,
Full of that Yankee Doodly Dum,
Half a million boots went slogging through Hell,
And I was the kid with the drum!

Say, don't you remember, they called me Al; it was Al all the time.
Say, don't you remember, I'm your pal? Buddy, can you spare a dime?

No comments:

Post a Comment