Thursday, April 12, 2007

Autobiography in Five Chapters

Chapter One:
I walk down the street and there's a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost. I am helpless. It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two:
I walk down the same street and there’s the same deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it and I fall in again. I can't believe I'm in the same place. It takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three:
I walk down the same street and there's the same deep hole in the sidewalk. I see that it is there. I still fall in. It's a habit; but my eyes are open and I know where I am. I get out almost immediately.

Chapter Four:
I walk down the same street and there’s the same deep hole in the sidewalk. This time, very carefully and cautiously I manage to walk around it.

Chapter Five:
It occurs to me to walk down a different street.

Not sure where this came from originally. I've had it around for over twenty years.

It sure seems to apply to my life, but I'm always cycling between Chapter 3 and 4...

No comments:

Post a Comment